Search Box

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Double standard?

One of the victims in Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme has been reported to be the Robert I. Lappin Charitable Foundation, an organization whose purpose is to reverse the dilution of Jewish identity caused by intermarriage and assimilation by sending teenagers to Israel and other Jewish educational efforts.

On the mission statement page of their website, they say:

"Our mission is helping to keep our children Jewish, thus reversing the trend of assimilation and intermarriage. We accomplish this mission by providing a variety of programs for children, teens, parents, and others, which:

-Enhance Jewish pride
-Convey the beauty, fun, and joy of being Jewish and the richness of our Jewish heritage
-Develop a connection to and love of Israel
-Instill a feeling of being a member of the Jewish family, a great and unique people
-Connect Jews from one generation to the next -- l'dor va-dor
-Imbue our children with the desire to stay Jewish and marry Jewish"

I have no problem with this, and I think it's perfectly understandable, even laudable.

What I have a problem with is people who would support this sort of thinking but then cry racism should somebody promote this sort of thinking among, say, Anglo-Saxons. (In fact, try substituting the word "Anglo-Saxon" for "Jewish" in this context, and imagine such an organization being granted tax free status. Then think about exactly how fast you'd have to run for cover as the sky came falling down.)

I'm a product of intermarriage myself, so theoretically I shouldn't be rooting for anybody who wants to maintain their race's purity. But as a libertarian, I think people should be allowed to do what they want. However, anyone who wants to promote racial purity for his own group but objects when others do the same is a hypocrite. In fact, anyone who simply looks the other way when one group promotes this but objects to another group doing exactly the same is a hypocrite.

Let me stress that I'm not saying that all Jewish people feel this way. After all, many intermarry. I am merely saying that anybody who practices a double standard should be called on it.

No comments: