Search Box

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Insurance to look forward to


Now that health insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, I look forward to the day when casualty and life insurance companies are forced to underwrite similar policies.

Once my house burns down, I'm going to buy a boatload of fire insurance on it. Those evil insurance companies ought not to be allowed to discriminate against me just because of the pre-existing condition of my house. I'm only asking for economic justice.

When a loved one dies, I'm going to buy millions in life insurance on him or her. The insurance companies shouldn't be able to take advantage of a death in my family to deny coverage. That would be downright ghoulish of them.

And now that I think of it, I might as well buy some life insurance on J.D. Salinger, too. After all, I really enjoyed his book.

By the way, I've been paying for health insurance for years on the off chance that a member of my family might contract some catastrophic illness. And I've never really gotten my money's worth out of it (thank goodness). But now that I can just wait till one of us gets sick before I buy the insurance, why waste the money in the meantime? I'd rather just pay the fine, which is cheaper.

It's a brave new world out there, thanks to our brave new leader.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Investors Business Daily had an interesting article 20 Ways ObamaCare Will Take Away Our Freedoms. Particularly horrifying to me is number 6 - we apparently will be required to buy all kinds of health coverage whether or not we have any probability of ever needing that type of coverage (substance abuse, for example). This is exactly the opposite of what would have happened if legislation were enacted to correct the single biggest problem in health insurance policy today - health insurance as a work benefit. If health insurance as a work benefit were disallowed, and all people were purchasing health insurance as individuals on the open market, the insurance benefits and corresponding fees would likely become fine tuned to the particular needs of the individuals making the purchase. I also suspect that high deductible policies would have become popular, and elective surgeries would become much less common - all driving down total health care costs.

We are living a nightmare.

Obama has scored step one - nationalized health care. According to what I've read the Senate version that is now law will drive private insurance out of the market.

Obama is wasting no time and moving on to push for a path to citizenship for illegal aliens. This will give Obama and the Democrats the majority of the electorate forevermore, and there will be no undoing the damage.

- Ed

John Craig said...

This administration does have the feel of a slowly unfolding nightmare. Health care can theoretically be repealed. But amnesty is permanent; once people are made citizens, you can't "un-citizen-ize" them.

I heard recently that there will be 159 new federal agencies established as a result of this health care bill. Can you imagine the type of people who are going to come nosing around at the doctors' offices, demanding to know about which procedures cost what, and which procedures are necessary, etc?

I get the sense that at this piont Obama realizes he's going to be a one term President and just wants to transfer as much money as possible from rich people to poor people (read: white people to black people), and as much power as possible to the Democratic Party and unions no matter what damage it does to the country overall in the long run.