Search Box

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Personality profile

My brother, my sister, and I went to Harvard; our father taught there, so it was no great accomplishment for us get in. But my wife's brother and his two sons all went to Harvard as well. To say that my daughter (currently a junior in high school) feels a certain pressure is an understatement.

My daughter visited Hamilton College today. Right before she left I said brightly, "Well, at least it begins with an H-A."

My daughter muttered, "You're such an asshole." She didn't say it loudly, as if for effect. She said it barely audibly, the way people do when they really mean something.

I'm not arguing with her assessment.

All I'm saying is that I am trying, in my own awkward way, to make a joke out of that pressure, so she'll feel it less.

I guess the key word here is awkward.

I'm hoping my daughter will look at this in a couple years and understand.

Preferably, from Cambridge.

(Just kidding.)

My son has a better attitude. Right after he enlisted in the Army, he pointed out, "You know how every now and then you hear about someone who is the first member of his famly to go to college, and how proud he is of that? Well, I'm even prouder to report I'm going to be the first member of my family not to go to college."

6 comments:

dgh said...

Better watch it John! We would adopt your sweet, intelligent, smart and hardworking daughter without a second thought! :)

John Craig said...

Donna --
I'm afraid she would accept that generous offer without a second thought, so I'm going to refrain from passing it along to her.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've told her this but plenty of people who don't go to fancy schools do great in various fields and for many who do go to fancy schools, going to the fancy school is their number one accomplishment in life.

John Craig said...

Anonymous --
Thank you, yes, I actually have pointed that out to her, along with the fact that I am one of those latter types you described.

Anonymous said...

Some news about Hamilton for parents of daughters: http://thefire.org/article/12301.html

John Craig said...

Anonymous --
That is hilarious, and also sadly true, thank you very much.

Just looked around, that is an interesting publication, thank you. They make a lot of good points about campus speech codes, and of course the larger point about how the leftist thought police rule on some many campuses.