Search Box

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Male self-image

I'm not a Facebook denizen, but evidently there's a place where you're supposed to put a photo of yourself. My son has put this photo of "himself" up on his page:



Johnny wasn't seriously trying to convince people that he is as strong and ferocious as that tiger. It was just a sort of metaphorical statement. But the picture does speak volumes about his self-image. Young men tend to be like this. They're full of testosterone, they feel tough and exuberant, and they want the world to know it.

It's all part of growing up. Young men are still in the process of figuring out who they are and what their place in the world is. A good father will encourage his son, and help him be comfortable with himself.

So Johnny -- I'm glad you see yourself as a tiger.

But if you don't want to be accused of false advertising, I suggest you put up this more realistic representation of yourself instead:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I wonder if J will rise to the bait. (Groan)
G

John Craig said...

Guy -- He does, privately, when we Skype, all the time. I was debating whether to put this post up, I try to keep it a general interest blog, and not be too self-indulgent, but I figured it was sort of funny, so....

John Craig said...

Guy --
Sorry, I didn't even get your joke first time around. How did I miss that?