Search Box

Saturday, February 26, 2011

MC Hammer

MC Hammer is the hip hop performer who was big in the late 80's and early 90's but who so (in)famously had to declare bankruptcy shortly after the height of his fame. He made a lot of money, but still managed to blow it all on extravagances like a $12 million mansion complete with a recording studio, a 33-seat theater, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, basketball courts, a bowling alley, $75,000 of mirrors, $2 million of marble floors and marble niches for his awards, a 17 car garage, and two gold-plated "Hammertime" gates at the entrance to his property. He also had a fleet of luxury cars, two helicopters, a leased Boeing 727, antique golf clubs, Etruscan sculpture, and gold chains for his four Rottweilers. He threw lavish parties and kept over 200 people on staff with an annual payroll of $6.8 million.

But Hammer at his peak was also one of the three best pop star dancers I've ever seen. It's supposed to be racist to say that black people are good dancers. But watch this video and tell me I'm wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsunEfZFG1Y

In particular, check out the segments from :39 to :50 and from 2:09 to 2:22. It's one of the coolest-looking dances I've ever seen; the coordination it takes to do it is amazing. Much of the rest of the dancing is a little -- I don't know how else to say it -- primitive. Some of those pneumatic female dancers are downright scary. 

If I found myself in the middle of that group, I'm not quite sure what I'd do.

Probably phone 911.

But that doesn't mean I'm not envious of their dancing ability.

[The third of the three greatest pop star/dancers is Michael Jackson, but I'm not going to bother to do a post on him; more than enough has already been said about him, and everybody has already seen him dance anyway.]

No comments: