Search Box

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fair and balanced


President Obama issued a brief statement today regarding yesterday's massacre in Norway:

"I spoke this morning to Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg to offer him the condolences of the American people. I wanted him to know that Michelle's and my prayers are with the families of those who were so tragically killed.

"But I would also like to add this note. We don't know all of the answers yet, and I would caution folks against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts. There has been some loose talk about how Mr. Anders Behring Breivik is a Christian fundamentalist and has ties to far right groups. But there is no proof that these killings had anything to do with his beliefs, and it would be an even greater tragedy if anybody were to use this as an excuse to demonize the far right, or, even worse, to think ill of blond, blue-eyed white people."

No comments: