Search Box

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two overrated things

I've never understood the craziness that surrounds the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. Guys act as if it's the first time they've ever caught a glimpse of anything more than a wrist or ankle on a woman. 

If these guys really care that much, why not cancel their subscriptions to Sports Illustrated -- which normally features pictures of athletic young men -- and subscribe to Playboy instead? You get to see far more of equally pretty girls. 

But no, when those girls in bikinis make their appearance, a certain type of guy will act as if he's a sailor in World War Two getting his first shore leave in a year. 

That, I would understand. This, I don't. 

The Victoria's Secret catalogue doesn't get as much publicity as it used to, but it too used to generate an inordinate amount of excitement. Personally, I'd just as soon look at the Sears Roebuck catalogue and turn to the women's undergarments section. The bras and panties Sears sells are slightly less racy, but the girls are just as good-looking. And they're not trying hard to look sexy, which, in my book, makes them more attractive. 

Of course, part of the reason men act crazed over both the swimsuit edition and the Victoria's Secret catalogue is because they've heard other guys react this way, and just figure they're supposed to. Call it mass hysteria. You see the same phenomenon when a group of young men see a good-looking woman pass by and they all feel obliged to outdo each other talking about how much she turns them on. 

I'm proud to report that I've never once felt the faintest stirring of an erection when regarding either publication. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

John -- I have to say I enjoy both Victoria Secret catalog and the SI swimsuit, as well as almost any women’s fashion magazine ( I often think these magazines are really for men).

That said, all of the above have lost much of their appeal they used to have – maybe its just my declining libido as I age.

John Craig said...

Anon --
I musta been born old.

Brian Fradet said...

John--Good post. Another thing about the Sports Illustrated magazine is that I've been told that the women are very much photo shopped out, giving them an unfair advantage and making them appear even better than they would look without it. Better, but kind of fake too. That might explain why a non erotic magazine like Sears might be actually more of a turn on because it's more true to life and natural. Just another perspective. Brian

John Craig said...

Brian --
Thank you. My guess is the girl in the Sears catalogue are also retouched. But their advantage is that somehow, maybe because I don't feel I'm SUPPOSED to be so excited by them, that they seem more exciting. Plus they're not trying to be sexy, which, to me, is sexier.

That said, I can't say I've ever gone out of my way to look at a Sears catalogue.

Brian Fradet said...

Well put!

John Craig said...

Brian --
Thanks. I meant "girls" above, not "girl."

Anonymous said...

Sears discontinued distribution of the general merchandise catalog in 1993. The company continued to distribute the extremely popular Craftsman Power and Hand Tools as well as licensed specialty catalogs. In 2007, Sears slowly went back into the proprietary catalog business by bringing back the Wish Book and adding new titles including Simply Indoors, Simply Outdoors, Smart Kitchens, The Workwear Authority and Wish Book Toys.

John Craig said...

Anonymous --
Interesting, thank you. But I just checked, they still have all their stuff online. I went to the women's garments, intimate apparel section, and the women are just as wholesome-looking as ever. All is well with the world.