Search Box

Monday, November 12, 2012

The military and "discrimination"

I got a number of interesting responses to the previous post. Yesterday I received this one, which I want to turn into another post:

"You should stop bending over backwards to be for the repeal of don't ask don't tell, it really comes across as stupid. First off, most soldiers don't live in open barracks when they are out of training, so the logic about two man rooming situations should apply here as well. Secondly, it's moronic to think that the military should have to be fair to everyone; the military gets to discriminate in all sorts of ways that other jobs dont because its needs to in order to function properly. Thousands and thousands of people with medical conditions get turned away every year, and women are not allowed to do certain jobs. Don't ask dont tell made for a better military, and if they are going to repeal that they might as well mandate that battlefields be wheelchair accessible."

This guy -- I assume it's a guy -- makes some good points. The military does get to discriminate, because it has to in order to function properly. And women are not allowed in combat positions. (Where are all the feminists who normally protest about things like that?)

When it comes to don't-ask-don't-tell, I still think gays ought to be allowed to serve. I'm for equality of opportunity, as opposed to equality of results, which is what the liberals generally want. Equality of opportunity means everyone gets to try out, regardless of who they are; equality of results would mean that people with medical conditions are allowed through the screening process anyway even though they don't pass those tests.

As far as the two man rooming situations, I think the answer is that the military should allow soldiers to specify that they don't want a gay roommate, the same as I suggested for incoming college freshmen. In fact, it's even more important that the military allow that, as the military is probably more likely to attract a more intimidating, I'm-no-fairy kind of gay. (The comments on the previous post illustrate that point.) 

I disagree with the commenter on one key point however: I do think battlefields should be made wheelchair accessible.

4 comments:

lowly said...

Personally, I don't have a problem with homos sharing rooms, or barracks, with heteros. You're talking adults after all. As an adult you put up with a lot of crap to get along (I don't think I've ever punched a moronic lib for being obnoxiously inane and disgusting, and I find them literally disgusting ). I see this as entirely different from, say, the Boy Scouts.

So the homos lay off with sexual advances, and heteros curb their instincts to thump the deviant. The problem is the reaction to transgressions. Whereas one is a (not so) funny social situation, the other is a hate crime these days. Not good.

John Craig said...

Lowly --
You are a man after my own heart. (Don't take that the wrong way.)

Anonymous said...

What about soldiers in the field? Did you see the movie Restrepo? I didn’t watch it all, fast forwarded through some of it. But I get the idea there was a long term deployment of a relatively small group of guys who wouldn’t have a lot of flexibility defining sleeping arrangements. And why should the heteros have to worry about that?
Ed

John Craig said...

Ed --
I did watch the movie, since my son spent a year at a combat outpost like that. You make a good point, those are some pretty close quarters. To tell the truth, if I were there, I think I'd be worrying about things other than whether the guy one cot over wanted to have sex with me. But yes, given everything else there is to worry about there, why add one more worry?
John