Search Box

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homophobia

One of the bigger thought crimes you can commit these days is "homophobia." But an instinctive aversion to homosexuality is perfectly natural. Think of it this way: the lack of such an aversion would be evolutionarily maladaptive.

This is not to say that gays shouldn't enjoy equal rights. As I've stated many times before, I support gay marriage. And I recognize that there is no moral component to desire.

But at the same time, I'll be honest about my own reactions. When I was 13 and another boy in my dorm made a pass at me. I was utterly grossed out. When I was 14, I hitchhiked home one night after a party in the next town, and was given a ride by a man who made a pass at me. I quickly mumbled "No thanks," got out, and ran all the way home. The thought of having sex with another male made me nauseous.

Since then, I have encountered many homosexuals, and have thought about what they do enough times that the nausea factor has long since worn off. And I've met plenty of homosexuals whom I've liked. But there's still a mild disgust at the thought of what they like to do, especially if they want to do it to me.

I would guess that homosexuals feel the same way, in reverse. To the average gay man, the thought of a woman's vagina is utterly without appeal; perhaps he even finds it grotesque. Likewise, to the average lesbian, the thought of letting some man stick his penis into her is probably revolting. Tastes differ; one man's meat is another man's emetic.

I certainly don't begrudge homosexuals their reaction; but will also not shy away from describing mine.  And it seems my initial gut reaction is typical.

Another point: the word "homophobia" a little misleading. A phobia is a fear. If I ever stumble across a cobra in the wild, I will undoubtedly be petrified. I never felt any such fear when a homosexual came on to me. I only felt a mild revulsion, far more akin to the feeling I get when pulling up dandelions and an earthworm wriggles into view. Not fear, just disgust.

The creation of the word "homophobia" seems an attempt to equate that feeling to a mental disorder such as the fear of open spaces, or the fear of, say, snowmen. (He who controls the language controls the discussion.)

But this revulsion is not a mental disorder: it's an almost universal reaction among heterosexual males, and one which makes perfect sense from an evolutionary perspective.

This is certainly not to justify picking on gays. Perhaps if we accept the inherent instinctive nature of these reactions, it will help us avoid such unwarranted behavior.

I do, however, have a word I would like to introduce to the lexicon: truthophobia, a mental disorder that afflicts the politically correct.

Talk to enough liberals, and you'll realize it's an accurate description of their reaction to the kind of honesty displayed in this post.

Now that I think of it, "truthohysteria" might be an even better term.

6 comments:

Gilbert Ratchet said...

"Aletheophobia" would make both halves Greek.

John Craig said...

Gilbert --
Your word is more sophisticated, but mine is more insulting. (Where's the fun in insulting people if they don't know they've been insulted?)

Brian Fradet said...

John--this doesn't cure the unpleasant reaction of your being assaulted by a gay, but for the record, the only way homosexuality makes any sense to me is that it is nature's hedge against overpopulation of the Earth. Nothing else I've ever heard makes any sense, hence what I believe. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the only dynamic that's plausible.

John Craig said...

Brian --
I wasn't assaulted by that guy when I was 14, he just put his hand on my knee.

The sociobiologists have actually never been able to come up with a good explanation for homosexuality. I don't think it's nature's hedge against over population, otherwise it'd be kicking into high gear now that we're at 7 billion plus, whereas it's always existed, and the percentage of the population which is gay isn't any more than it has always been.

Brian Fradet said...

John--good to know that you were never assaulted, however, I was speaking in general, as in an attempt. As for me, I've had many gays attempt to assault me throughout my life, at various times (I was an alter boy for a while--thank god nothing there). Never anything violent, thankfully. Brian

John Craig said...

Brian --
Ditto. if I'd had nearly the number of women come on to me as guys, I would have led a much better life.