Search Box

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Self-indulgence

There's been a fair amount of publicity about Columbia and Harvard Law Schools allowing their students to postpone their final exams because the students are upset by the recent grand jury decisions in Ferguson and New York.

Much of the reaction to these moves could be characterized as disapproval.

I disagree; I think Columbia and Harvard are on the right track.

In fact, I think I'll follow in their footsteps.

I'm very upset by the recent CIA torture report. So upset that I'm going to have to numb myself with a bottle of Jack Daniels every afternoon.

I'm in a huge tizzy about the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Such a tizzy that I'm going to have to have a pint of Haagen Dasz chocolate chip cookie dough every night just to calm my nerves.

I've been in a complete snit about global warming recently. Given which, I couldn't even contemplate having to shovel the snow which will accumulate in our driveway this winter.

I'm extremely saddened because of all the vandalism and looting by the Ferguson protesters. So sad I couldn't even consider taking out the garbage anymore.

But most of all, I've worked myself into a lather from Obama's drone bombings, what with all the innocent children he's slaughtered. Since I can no longer even think clearly, I'm going to take a break from my self-assigned chore of writing this blog.

See you next year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would the same courtesy have been extended if the students were out protesting Obama's unprecedented "executive action" on amnesty? (BTW - no executive action on immigration / amnesty has been submitted).

Or if the students were out protesting the Republicans who just signed off on another gargantuan budget, fulling funding all contentious Obama programs, and without a peep of protest - not even a "just for street cred" push-back? After all - didn't the Republicans just kick the Democrat's behinds on the basis that the US was unhappy with Democrat / Obama governance? (many political analysts agree the election was more about rejection of Democrat / Obama than an endorsement of Republican governance - I guess the Republicans just proved that point, since they rarely do anything positive).

- Ed

Shaun F said...

That was humourous and well written. People might learn from what you are trying to illustrate, or would lynch you for your lack of appropriately placed "empathy."

John Craig said...

Ed --
I'm assuming your questions are rhetorical.

I agree, the election was a referendum on the Democrats, not full-throated support of the Republicans.

The hypocrisy of the students is amazing, though. Granted, the Eric Garner case was more questionable, but with Ferguson, they're protesting
a cop who shot a guy who had reach dint his car to punch him, then tried to grab his gun, causing it to go off twice in the car. Then, when he got out of the car, Wilson still didn't shoot him, just told him to stop, and only shot him when Brown turned around and charged him. At the same time Obama has sent off drones which have killed upwards of 300 innocent children, and the students are fine with that?

John Craig said...

Shaun --
Thank you. I'm picking on a pretty easy target there, I think most people -- even those on the left -- were probably left wondering what those law schools were thinking.

Anonymous said...

John--I agree. You're under a lot of pressure from all these unfortunate global events. I suggest you go on a week long club med vacation by yourself to regroup and get some head space. You might have some good fun and a nice rest, then come back refreshed. Well, that's just what I think. Brian

John Craig said...

Brian --
Ha! Thank you, I will follow your wise advice. Doctor's orders, I think we'll call it.

Anonymous said...

Personally I find ice cream and alcohol to be a good remedy for most ailments, so I'm glad to see they've worked for you and that you're back to posting on your blog. Hopefully by the time the garbage needs taking out or snow needs shoveling, you'll find some other worthwhile injustice to use as an excuse to avoid those unpleasant activities. --Audrey

John Craig said...

Audrey --
Ha! I'd try to think of some clever reply but I'm afraid I'm too hungover.

No apologies necessary on the multiple attempts to send, it's not a problem, you're not the only one to do it. I got rid of that "prove you're not a robot" thingie at one point but was inundated with so much spam I had to reinstitute it.