Search Box

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No regrets

This morning's NY Times carried an article headlined, "Mistakes, I've Made a Few, Bush Tells Reporters."

Bush, in a press conference he called "the ultimate exit interview," went on to admit a few obvious mistakes, defend his record on terrorism, and surprise no one.

But that's not the point of this post. The point is, the headline reminded me of all the people I've ever heard (or heard of) who say that they wouldn't go back and change a thing.

How can a person go through his entire life having no regrets? This can only mean one of two things. Either he is a supreme narcissist who will never admit to any mistakes. Or he has an extreme Pollyanna-ish attitude which sees only the bright side of everything, no matter how dismal. (It's usually pretty obvious which type he is if you know him.)

Not a thing you'd change if you could do it all over again?

I look back and see nothing but.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A number of times I’ve said to people that I would jump at the opportunity to re-live my life, knowing what I know today (obviously this doesn’t make literal sense, sitting in first grade whizzing through reading, math etc.). I’ve been surprised that a lot of people say they would not live their life over. I look at my life as one long continuous compounding error.