Search Box

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

87 is the new 37

http://news.yahoo.com/indiana-man-87-nabbed-228-pounds-cocaine-police-230721897.html

Whenever I read of a 37-year-old who has been caught with this amount of drugs, I quietly think: glad they caught him, hope they get a conviction. Then I go on to the next article. But somehow when I read about an 87-year-old being caught like this, I can't help but think: Way to go, grandpa!

Think of the average 87-year-old. If he's still alive, he's probably lucky to get across the room with his walker. But this guy -- Leo Earl Sharp -- still had the juice to be committing crimes, and not just any crime, but a big one.

I'm not quite going to say he's my hero, but.....you gotta admit, there is something admirable about him.

Here's how I want my obituary to read:

"John Craig, 104, was killed in a knife fight in a medium security prison yesterday in Washington state. He managed to kill four other inmates before the fifth one killed him. Craig succumbed to his wounds almost immediately.

"Craig had been convicted the previous year of statutory rape. At his trial, the 103-year-old Craig had groused, 'How the hell was I supposed to know she was only 17? She told me she was 21, and anyway, she was plenty willing.'

"But the judge said that Craig should have known better, and sentenced him to a two year term. When Craig then told the judge he'd better be looking over his shoulder after Craig got released, the judge added an extra year."

(It's my blog. I can fantasize if I want.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John,

Now that's funny ! Thanks for making my day.

Mad Dog

John Craig said...

Thank you Mad Dog. You're actually more likely to be getting that obituary than me.

My real obituary will probably read something like, "Died of a heart attack at age 63 after being scared by a squirrel rustling in the leaves nearby."

Anonymous said...

Why Washington state?

John Craig said...

I originally had a paragraph about how I had briefly gained fame during my 60's for having gotten a film of sasquatch, but took it out because it really had nothing to do with the subject of the post.