Search Box

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Shakespeare receives ultimate compliment


A recent NY Post article quoted rapper Kanye West as saying, “I’m standing up, and I’m telling you, I am Warhol. I am the No. 1 most impactful artist of our generation. I am Shakespeare in the flesh.”

How happy the Bard would have been to have known of this comparison!

From the same article:

Kanye told radio station Power 105 that his daughter “is in a position of a level of royalty like the Prince and Princess in London,” appearing to refer to Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, who was pregnant at the same time as Kardashian.

A sampling of other Kanye West quotes:

Regarding not being nominated for Album of the Year: "You know, if Michael Jordan can scream at the refs, me as Kanye West, as the Michael Jordan of music, can go and say, 'This is wrong.'"

On his cultural significance: "I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period. By a long jump."

On grabbing the MTV award from Taylor Swift: “It only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness ... That’s all it is.”

“I am so credible and so influential and so relevant, I will change things. So when the next little girl that wants to be, you know, a musician and ... to express her talent ... that thing is more fair because I was there.”

“I am the number one person in music. That means any person that’s living or breathing is number two.”

“I’m doing pretty good as far as geniuses go….The Bible had 20, 30, 40 characters in it. You don’t think that I would be one of the characters of today’s modern Bible?”

“My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.”

“Kim doesn’t understand what a blessing I am to her.”

“I’m like a tree. I feed the branches of the people.”

Some might say West is suffering from an extreme narcissistic personality disorder, or perhaps delusions of grandeur.

I say, they're just jealous.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like Kim, I guess we all don't realize how "blessed" we are to have Kanye in this world. He's arrogant, completely full of himself, almost believing that he's god-like. A lot of celebrities are that way, being so enamored of themselves, not being humble. It's kind of amusing (and unsettling at the same time) to read what Kanye has actually said to others, what he believes about himself (his greatness) - he can do whatever he wants because he's at the level of royalty, I guess.

-Susan

John Craig said...

Susan --
I think you're right, a lot of celebs think of themselves that way although most of them are smart enough to keep it to themselves and put on a humble act. What's amusing about Kanye West is that he's so dumb he thinks either that (a) saying these things about himself will somehow enhance his image, or that (b) he thinks he'll convince people by telling them these things.

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no tongue-in-cheek self-mockery to what he's saying.

Spychiatrist said...

Pride cometh before a fall.

That's some Bible for Kanye West.

This imbecile would be nothing if not for the support of millions of imbeciles just like him. Sure, he's wealthy and "successful", but is he really? Only in a dying civilization could men such as he gain any respect at all.

I really do look forward to the day when people that worship people like West are sitting in sack cloth and heaping ashes upon themselves for ever giving credence to such vacuous stupidity.

$ does not equate to good taste, or talent. This idiot is living proof.

John Craig said...

Spychiatrist --
Amen, though, as much as it pains me to say it, technically, he is successful. Even PT Barnum would have been sickened.

The Anti-Gnostic said...

In 10 years your kids will ask you who Kanye West is. In 10 years, Kim Kardashian will weigh over 200 pounds and nobody will ask who she is.

Something strange going on with that still-unseen child. Mom has looked shellshocked since giving birth.

John Craig said...

The Anti-Gnostic --
I sure hope you're right on your prediction for the future.

I hadn't noticed anything strange about the baby, but I hadn't been paying that close attention. I'll check it (not sure of the sex) out more closely next time I stumble across a pic.

Quartermain said...

As the old joke goes, Kanye is a legend in his own mind.

The Anti-Gnostic said...

John - there is no baby in that stroller.

John Craig said...

The Anti-Gnostic --
Really??! Wow.

I vaguely remember having seen some sort of picture. Now I WILL have to pay more attention.

Anonymous said...

Kanye and Kim have a baby girl named North. She's a cute baby.

Anonymous said...

In the past couple of days, there was an article about Kanye's request for money (because he has some beautiful ideas that he needs help funding). Some of the comments that people left about Kanye were interesting and entertaining. I agreed with comments that related to his clothing line - his clothing line contains ugly outfits.

-birdie

John Craig said...

Birdie --
Yes, I saw a blogpost about that line on Ambrose Kane's blog. They are hideously ugly. And Kanye seems to have no idea about how much he's embarrassing himself, both by his statements and his clothing line.

Anonymous said...

In the past, when Kanye has had his fashion shows, I've seen his wife, Kim (via photos), wearing some god awful outfits and I've felt for her. She supports her hubby by wearing clothing that I'm sure that she wouldn't normally wear. LOL.

-birdie

John Craig said...

Birdie --
I'm sure even she wouldn't be caught dead in some of his latest designs.