Search Box

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Traffic tickets


I recently got two traffic tickets for running red lights. They were delivered in the mail; one was from New York City, for $50, the other from Providence, for $85. Evidently the traffic lights in big cities are now equipped with cameras which constantly record the cars going by.

In New York, they actually gave me the time which had elapsed after the light turned red when I went by: three-tenths of a second. Had a police officer been guarding the intersection, he probably would have given me the benefit of the doubt.

I complained to a couple of friends, but didn't get much sympathy: they had already gotten similar tickets. (That I whined about this while my friends remained stoic probably says something about my personality; but we won't look too closely at that.)

Anyway, these cities have to fund their graft, kickbacks, and unwarranted disability pensions somehow.

I look forward to the day when radar guns by the highway will be used to give us tickets for going 58 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the modern surveillance police state. For a glimpse of your "1984" future, look no further than Britain, video surveillance capital of the world.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/dec2006/cctv-d06.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267278/New-speed-cameras-trap-motorists-space-trial-UK.html
G

John Craig said...

Guy --
Just took a look at both of those. Geez. Life's about to get a lot tougher for us criminals.