Search Box

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A belated movie review (from my son)

Johnny, with extra time on his hands before he leaves for Afghanistan, has been watching a lot of movies on his computer. Although I warned him not to, he recently saw Never Say Never Again, the James Bond film which Sean Connery returned to the series to make in 1983. (The movie's title was an inside joke based on the fact that Connery hard reportedly said after making Diamonds are Forever in 1971 that he would "never again" make another Bond film.)

This was my son's review: "Ugh! I mean, Uuuuggggghhhh!"

I couldn't agree more. 

I remember having looked forward to this movie so much after a decade of listless Roger Moore movies: finally, the real Bond was going to be back! But when I saw him on screen, the now unmistakeably middle-aged Connery seemed to be playing him as.....camp.

I felt like a Muslim looking at a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad.

Speaking as someone who feels that Sean Connery (Connery, not Bond) is the embodiment of all that is masculine and good in the world -- speaking as someone who will actually feel sad when he dies -- I still feel that for him to have taken part in such a travesty is almost deserving of a....fatwa. He profaned himself as much as anything else, but it was still sacrilegious.

Connery should have stuck with his original pronouncement.

And Johnny should have listened to my advice: Never see Never Say Never Again.

2 comments:

Steven said...

deserving of a Fatwa, haha very funny Craig.

John Craig said...

Steven --
Thank you. (I think most people agree with my sentiment about that movie.)