Search Box

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Logic

Yesterday I was complimenting someone for being logical when I was interrupted by someone else. She said, "Uh, what do you mean by logical?"

I was taken aback by the question, so could only come up with "The word is pretty self-explanatory, don't you think?"

If you look it up in the dictionary, most of the definitions of logic use the word "reason." For instance, Merriam-Webster's definition:


a: a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning 

b: a particular mode of reasoning viewed as valid or faulty 

Upon further reflection, I've come up with a more usable, illustrative definition: a logical person is one who looks at the facts, then comes up with a theory based on those. An illogical person is one who comes up with a theory, then looks for facts to support it while studiously ignoring those which don't.

The two people mentioned above happen to be particularly good examples of each type.

4 comments:

Taylor Leland Smith said...

Kind of reminds me of the marxists in my political economy class. They just can't accept the fact that what sounded like a good idea didn't work in practice. I just feel like everything that's taught is completely lost on them.

John Craig said...

Taylor --
Actually, from what I know of most college professors, everything they teach is lost on you. However, everything that occurs in the real world is lost on them and your Marxist classmates.

(I may be wrong about your political economy professor.)

Anonymous said...

I wish that everyone in the world was level headed, logical.

- Susan

John Craig said...

Susan --
I wish that I could grant your wish.