Search Box

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Power outage

he early storm which swept through New England this past Saturday knocked power out in 80% of my town (including my house). No electricity means no light, no TV, no internet, and no land line phone. It also means no heat (the oil heater is run by an electric thermostat) and no water (the pump is run by electricity as well).

So the local Y and library are basically refugee camps. There's nothing intrinsically interesting about this, I guess, unless it happens to you. Whenever I read about the inconvenience caused by extreme weather elsewhere, I must admit I am never stirred to sympathy.

Just goes to show that self-pity is more easily stimulated than the other kind.

Well, at least with me.

6 comments:

Dave Moriarty said...

this storm and its aftermath is just another example of why you should be president with dictator powers. i read the cl@p president said he was surprised by the storm. How could he have been surprised when someone like me who pays no attention to the weather knew about it wed before the storm? As president with dictaters powers you can give him the fate deserving of of someone who is either really dumb or a bad liar.

John Craig said...

Dave -- We've been without power for over five days now. I agree, he does deserve to be drawn and quartered for that.

Anonymous said...

should that be cr@p president?
G
PS I blame the NU parent company Chairman, CEO and President, who with all of those titles must be in charge. But then again the poor guy only got paid $8million last year so we can't expect too much.

Anonymous said...

An old expression comes to mind: Tragedy I can live with, it's inconvenience that's going to kill me.

Anonymous said...

I hate and dread power outages. We've had several now where I live, in a semi rural area (each one caused by a storm of some sort). Being with out power for more than a few days drives one practically crazy. The last one we had was in winter time, caused by a snow storm. We were without power for a day or two. The house became quite cold. When the power returned, I could have jumped for joy.

- Susan

John Craig said...

Susan --
I hate 'em too; and they're worst in the winter, when you lose heat as well. I'm tempted to just go to a local motel, but somehow I never do.