Search Box

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fujita-san

Did a double take this morning when I read in the sports section that a Scott Fujita was among the former New Orleans Saints who was being suspended for having taken part in their unofficial bounty program, under which players were rewarded for injuring opposing players.

I had never heard of a Japanese-American player in the NFL, so I Google-imaged him, and got this picture:


(Fujita is the one in the center of the picture.)

Try as I might, I could discern no Asian influence in his features. So, curious as to how he arrived by his last name, I looked him up on Wikipedia. Turns out he was adopted by one Rodney Fujita, a Japanese-American.

Here's what it says about Scott in the "Personal Life" section:

He is politically liberal, and has gone on record as a supporter of abortion rights and gay rights as well as an advocate for adoption, wetlands preservation, and other causes; he was named the Saints "Man of the Year" in 2009 for his charitable activities.

I was a little surprised to find that he was a liberal, because 6'5" 250 pound white guys with jaws like that rarely are. 

Then again, it's possible Wikipedia has it wrong. Taking advantage of the Saints' bounty system can hardly be described as "charitable."

No comments: