Search Box

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Toughness and cheapness

One correlation I've long noticed but can't explain is toughness and cheapness. A high percentage of the tough guys I've known have been cheap. (The former often implies the latter, but the latter only rarely implies the former.)

I should distinguish between being frugal and being stingy: frugality means you're willing to go without luxuries yourself, stinginess that you're unwilling to be generous -- or even reciprocate --  with others. Obviously, the first trait is admirable, the second merely selfish and, sometimes, hypocritical. The tough guys I've known have been both frugal and stingy. 

Sometimes these guys seems to have ridiculous attitudes, as in, "Why should I give that guy money just because he brought me my food? That's his job." This may be social naiveté, but can also be an extension of a chip-on-the-shoulder attitude which occasionally characterizes them.

Anyway, I can't explain it, but I've seen the correlation too many times not to be struck by it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toughness correlated with being self-reliant and having low empathy for others implies high probability of cheapness. Possibly because they became tough by having to be self-reliant and because others showed little empathy for them.
G

John Craig said...

G --
That makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Hi John--Amen. I thought I was the only one who observed that phenomena in people. I just don't know why anyone would be "cheap" when it ultimately makes them look bad. Thanks, Brian

John Craig said...

Thank you Brian. (Long time no hear from.)

Anonymous said...

J--there must be some tech glitch because I replied 2 other times in the last month and didn't hear anything back. Perhaps I didn't click something. Hope all is well. B

John Craig said...

Brian --
Okay, thanks, sorry about that. I hear that from people from time to time, that their comments didn't go through. In the history of this blog I've only disallowed one comment, and that was one from my son which had absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the post.