Search Box

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Kit Harington can rest easy

Kit Harington proved why actors should never speak without a script yesterday. An excerpt from the Page Six article about him:

“To always be put on a pedestal as a hunk is slightly demeaning,” laments Kit Harington, 28, who stars as Jon Snow on the award-winning hit TV series "Game of Thrones." “It really is and it’s in the same way as it is for women. When an actor is seen only for her physical beauty, it can be quite offensive.”

He explains further, “Well, it’s not just men that can be inappropriate sexually; women can be as well. I’m in a successful TV show in a kind of leading man way and it can sometimes feel like your art is b
eing put to one side for your sex appeal. And I don’t like that.”

“In this position you get asked a lot, ‘Do you like being a heartthrob? Do you like being a hunk?’ Well, my answer is, ‘That’s not what I got into it for.”


What exactly is Harington trying to prove here? That he's truly passionate about his art? Or is he trying -- somewhat desperately, it seems -- to prove that he really is a hunk?

Yes Kit, we get the message: women throw themselves at you left and right. 

But you're not vain. No, not at all. 

Given which, when one Google Images "Kit Harrington," these first six pictures that appear all raise troubling questions:


Kit -- why would you wear a shirt labeled "heartbreaker" if you don't want to be one? But please don't misunderstand -- we are very grateful for the way you cut off your sleeves so we can admire your bulging biceps!



Don't you get a little cold with your shirt unbuttoned down to your sternum?



It's nice now the fan is blowing your hair out to the side, but doesn't that bother your eyes just a little? Oh, no wonder you're squinting.



Is this an early screen test for when Daniel Craig steps down? Wow, we can practically hear the James Bond music playing in the background. 


No wonder all those poor women are "inappropriate sexually" with you! How can you blame them when you look so dapper?




You must be quite the romantic, walking on the beach on a cloudy day like that! Were you trying to evoke Alain Delon with that cigarette? And how much effort goes into making your hair look tousled just so?


Well Kit, I have good news for you: you don't have to worry about being offended by being seen only for your physical beauty, because you're actually not that good-looking. You're baby-faced, beady-eyed, and soft-looking. Oh, and your lips are too big for a guy (such are referred to as "blow job lips" for a reason). 

Don't get me wrong: you're okay-looking, in a top-half-of-his-high-school-class sort of way. But you're really nothing special.

That must come as quite a relief. Now, you can concentrate on your art.

13 comments:

Steven said...

I'm sure getting the job was nothing to do with his looks.

He doesn't have to worry about being the next James Bond though, as the next James Bond will be black- Idris Elba. Watch this space.

Steven said...

btw Roger Moore recently got into a bit of trouble for saying James Bond should be 'English English', meaning basically that he should be white.

The incumbent, Daniel Craig, has backed Idris Elba to be the next Bond btw.

This seems like your kind of story.

John Craig said...

Steven --
That's what Amy Pascal of Sony suggested, but my guess is if they test market Elba, they'll find audiences object.

It would be like making the next Shaft a white guy.

I suppose I shouldn't underestimate Hollywood's capacity for political correctness, though.

Steven said...

I'm sensing a lot of support for Idris Elba and I'm actually in support myself.

I'm not a JB fan and I think it will make it more interesting for a movie or two. Plus he has the suave, sophisticated kind of quality to do it.

Imagine the publicity. It'll be the most well publicised, discussed and anticipated James Bond film of my lifetime.

John Craig said...

Steven --
I like Elba as an actor, and thought he was good in "Luther," the BBC series, which I watched in its entirety on Netflix. But to make James Bond black would be near sacrilegious. Ian Fleming would turnover in his grave.

I know it's silly to insist that a fictional character be a certain way. But the character was written as an old school Etonian white guy.

Daniel Craig, by the way, once suggested that the James Bond character be allowed to have homosexual relations onscreen as well. That doesn't mean it should be so.

How do you think black people would react if they did a remake of Shaft, and had a white guy play the role?

Steven said...

I understand what you are saying and that your gut reaction is it can't be so. But I honestly just don't mind and kind of like the idea. When I see it, maybe it'll seem daft. I do think it'll happen though.



Unknown said...

Completely agree about this guy's appearance (never heard of him, but then I'm one of the last holdouts against Game of Thrones) - "soft" is the operative word here, I think.

John Craig said...

Jackie M --
In Australia (I peeked at your Google profile) he wouldn't even be in the top half of his high school class.

Pavonine99 said...

Lots of women, self included, do prefer the softer look-but, even taking that into account, I'd agree that he's only averagely handsome at best. What really kills it for me, though, is that he looks uncomfortably like far too many onscreen depictions of Jesus.

John Craig said...

Pavonine --
That hadn't even occurred to me, but you're right, he does. Especially in the top picture, which was his best picture. I have to say, though, I doubt Jesus ever wore a sleeveless t-shirt saying "heartbreaker" on the front.

Steven said...

I think his best picture is in the tux. His features do look way above averagely good looking to me on that but I agree he isn't really special looking.

The thing is he is probably constantly treated like he is. He is probably bombarded with compliments online and fawned over in real life.

Also bear in mind the photos are photo shoots and may have been told what to wear and how to wear it.

All that said, the things he said about his beauty are embarrassing, especially from a man.

Anonymous said...

As far as the pictures go (of the actor), the last one I can't stand. He seems to be trying to look "cool," but the cigarette hanging out of his mouth is a turn-off, being very unattractive.

-birdie

John Craig said...

Birdie --
I got the impression he looked very pleased with himself in all of the photographs.