Search Box

Friday, July 9, 2010

Class

There is a woman who lives in my hometown who is always friendly, always laughing, and always has a joke at hand. She recently sent us a card about our son which struck just the right note:

"As we celebrate [our daughter's] graduation and forward march to college, we are thinking of you. Both [my husband] and I know how proud you must be of Johnny's noble pursuit but how terrified too. Know you and his safety are in our thoughts."

It was brief but complete, and sympathetic but not cloying.

I recently found out that this woman has a serious kidney problem, serious enough that she was unable to accompany her family on their spring vacation (she evidently insisted they go without her). And she's had this problem for a while.

I didn't hear about any of this from her. In fact, I have never once heard her complain. As stated above, she always seems to be in a good mood, and despite her own problem her concerns are focused on others.

The word "class" is overused, but it applies here.

No comments: