Search Box

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The worst thing about getting old

My attitudes are becoming disturbingly similar to those of my parents' generation forty years ago.

When I hear recent pop hits, I think, that's not music.

The other day, when I heard of a new product, I actually thought, what will they think of next? (That makes me sound really old.)

I do all the things I thought so pathetic when I was young, like challenge younger people to athletic contests, and take way more pride than I ought in beating them.

The word "crotchety" fits better and better: it's harder to force a smile, and near impossible to fake a laugh. I get that "been there, done that" feeling about places I've never been, and things I've never done.

A generalized disgruntlement is my ever present companion.

But by far the worst thing about getting old is that when I hear a beautiful woman say something stupid, I immediately recognize it as stupid.

When I was young, no matter what a pretty girl said, it sounded like magic. Even when it was so stupid it was impossible not to recognize it as such, it sounded charmingly illogical, or charmingly naive.

The charm has disappeared. But the stupidity remains.

And I am much the poorer for that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but one of the best things about getting old is that you become immune to the alpha male salesman. We were "worked" by two classic sales types at the car dealership recently (the salesman and the manager). We were very close to buying the car, but just couldn't stand these two overconfident a****s. I enjoyed the look on their faces when we walked out.
G

John Craig said...

G --
Good point, and congratulations. I've actually found that by writing these posts analyzing various phenomenon, that helps immunize me to them. Thank you for being part of my therapy.

I actually think that most guys will identify with these sad sack pieces I've posted recently; we're all situational betas at times. (As far as getting old, everyone past the age of 30 can identify with that.)

Anonymous said...

John,

Great post as always,

I have the same feelings as yourself, the real scary part is that I've become exactly like my father...a hardass. I left his house when I was 18 after the "my way or highway" speech. In a short time 2-3 years on my own I learned that he was right in all the topics he had told me about. I was man enough to tell him he was a good man and it was I who was the idiot. Now, I find his words coming from my mouth to Chris, who just rolls his eyes and walks away. I can only hope that one day soon my son may realize just how difficult life is and that you only get one chance at it, so try not to waste any time.

Mad Dog

John Craig said...

Mad Dog --
Thanks. There's only one way to really learn, I'm afraid.