Search Box

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On the down low at West Point

The NY Times ran an article on the front page today titled, "Resignation Puts Gay Cadets, Hidden at West Point, in Spotlight."

The article goes on to describe how cadet Katherine Miller, had blogged anonymously about being a lesbian at the US Military Academy and subsequently resigned. The NY Times, of course, put her and the other gays in an extremely sympathetic light. (The entire newspaper is basically one big editorial page.)

Anyway, much as it pains me to agree with the Times, they're right on this issue. Anybody who's willing to lay down his life for his country -- something that never even occurred to me to do when I was young -- should be allowed to do that, regardless of his sexual orientation.

Gays in the military are deserving of our gratitude, not our contempt.

Let me put it another way: Any guy in a combat role -- I don't care how much he enjoys giving other men oral sex -- is a better man than me.

No comments: